The Sharp Knife of Reality

Related image

What started off as a typical day ended off as a never-ending nightmare. It was like any other day in my life. Get up, get ready, eat, study, spend time with my family, sleep, and the cycle would start over. However, today wasn’t the same. I came outside to the yard to witness and feel the fresh morning dew trickle down my feet, what made it better was the sun projecting its light upon the morning dew, they looked like spherical beads of light. I stood there embracing every aspect of the place, I didn’t leave a single nook or cranny unembraced. Suddenly an army of police entered the area, uninvited, like a swarm of unwanted mosquitoes. Immediately after the police came, a bulldozer, a sickly yellow, began breaking down the walls of stone surrounding the yard. I was frightened to the core, I knew why they were here, I knew very well why they were here. They were after our land, the land that was rightfully ours, the land that connected us like the strings of a dream catcher, the land that was a piece of our heart, a piece of our soul. It was evident that the man in the bulldozer had the intention of breaking the house we lived in. A few female officers aggressively threw my family and me against the cold floor of the house that was about to be demolished. There was no way of escaping, I burst into tears overcome by the fear of loss but not the loss of myself but the loss of the people that mean the most to me in the world. However, I wasn’t really for what was about to happen. My aunt just entered the yard, and a group of female officers grabbed her. My aunt screamed yelled, but she struggled to break loose of their arms. My Aunt attempted to set up a press conference by grabbing her phone, but the officers made it nearly impossible for her to do that, the officers tried to grab her arms, they did this in the most violent way possible. Despite the struggle, my aunt didn’t let the officers touch her phone. My Aunt’s screams and shouts were like a tape, they kept playing over and over and over again in my head. Every second took to look at her was the most painful excruciating thing to see. It was like walking over shards of glass that were on fire while rocks were being thrown at me, it was heart-wrenching. The people that worked at our house were beaten terribly, one of them was arrested, the other endured a blow to his head. I could see a pool of blood lying beside the worker, above the pool of blood was something trickling down the side of his forehead, this time it wasn’t morning dew tickling at a person’s skin, this time it was blood corroding its way into a person’s forehead, leaving its mark, its stain, wherever it would go. It was a traumatizing vision, a picture still left to sit in my head. The workers weren’t the only ones beaten, other family members were hit, abused and victims of this massacre. Again their screams continued and replayed in my head. I sat behind the door witnessing all of this, I wished I could do something about it but I was locked inside like many of my family members.

I looked up at the bulldozer, it was coming towards the building we were locked in. I immediately knew that wasn’t going to see the light of another day again, but I just wanted my family to be alright, I wanted them to be safe, I wanted them to be happy. I took a look at the expression on the face of the man operating the bulldozer, the man was smiling, smiling as if he were pleased with himself, laughing as if he were satisfied with himself, as if he had done something right. The bulldozer was now only about a meter away and I was ready to draw my last breath, it was closing in on us and but I all I wanted was my family’s happiness. I stood there waiting for some kind of light to appear out of somewhere, but suddenly the bulldozer stopped. Someone was able to stop it. The bulldozer left in anger destroying the gate, while ruining the entrance I could hear the screams and cries of my family, it was the worst. The calamity ended, but the destruction stayed, they fixed the place, but they couldn’t fix the screams and cries that kept playing in my head, they couldn’t fix the tears wasted, they couldn’t fix the destruction that remained within our pure hearts.